Ants in laptop sometimes may be a serious problem or sometimes may be just irritating. But anyhow you have to get rid of it. The reason that your laptop is infested by ants may be that you may have spilled any juice on your laptop or any food item or they just might have moved into their new apartment.
So here’s a simple bait free solution which you might find it funny at first, but yeah it truly works. Just follow the steps and the ants will be gone by morning.
Before heading towards attacking the ants you need some equipment.
- A tray which can hold water (not much deep).
- A bowl or anything stable that can stay on the water filled tray.
- A wooden stick or a wooden spoon long enough to lean from laptop to any other surface.
- And last but not the least, the ant infested laptop.
(Note: this is for some serious ant issues, not only for one or two. If you have handful of ants i.e. 4-5 then just brush them off )
Here’s the setup
- Place the tray on ant table and fill it with some amount of water. Just few millimeters or 1 centimeter.
- Place the bowl or any stand on the tray. Make sure it is good and firm.
- Now place your Laptop over the bowl/ stand carefully. Be sure that the laptop only touches the bowl and nothing else and the laptop is off and unplugged from the power source.
- Lean the wooden stick so that it touches the laptop and the table/surface on which the tray is sitting on.
- Leave the setup as it is overnight and do not disturb it or move it.
How it works
Ants have very strong survival instincts. If they detect any chemical footprints i.e. other ants then they will look for another alternative. After they find the wooden stick they will follow it and walk out.
Yeah it’s a bit unbelievable, but it seriously works.
- Very first thing you can do is clean the laptop with a dry or a slightly moist cloth.
- Try keep your laptop open and inverted for a night. Due to this the ants may fall off the keys and etc.
- Over use the laptop when the battery is low, this will eventually heat it up and the ants will move out.
- Find the sauce of ants and clean it and clean all the ports of your laptop.
- Kip your laptop clean and do regular cleaning of your system.
If none of the solutions worked, then “Kill them one by one by just crushing them with something and do not throw, let the dead ants be there. Eventually you would see the number of ants are now coming less.” Surely it’s time consuming but when there was ants – a heap of them – inside my laptop, I did the same. And, it works.
If this too doesn’t help you, take your ant infested laptop to your nearest service center. You will get a better solution to fix such ants in laptop issue.