Do you want to know How to Start a Blog?
Great idea! Pay attention
There’s so much information out there on the internet, and everyone’s telling you to do different things. It’ll be a bit confusing to you. But today I’m going to take you and show you how to start a blog in 2020 step-by-step.
In this step-by-step guide, you will get to know about how to start a blog, choose the right theme & plugins for your blog, and how to publish your first blog post.
Table of Contents
Planning & Implementation Phase
1. Choose a Blog Niche
Now, I’ll help you to pick and decide on which topic you can start your blog.
Well for me this is the most frustrating part because many of us can’t decide what to choose or on which topic we are good enough.
When you are picking a niche, always remember the competition, the volume of searches and how profitable this niche is.
But many of the time it was seen that many new bloggers leave many profitable niches just because of their high competition.
Not only new bloggers but many experienced bloggers also do so. But you need to understand here that if it has high competition that means it has a high volume of searches, ultimately it is more profitable to you.
What I personally feel in choosing a niche is select the niche which you feel you’re best in. As I feel I’m good in marketing so I started this blog.
If you have the right plan and you are ready to put extra effort than definitely go for it. All you need to do is to find a unique angle to the niche and present the information differently than your competitors.
Let me make this thing a little easy. Write down all the topics in which you are interested.
After listing all the topic think about every wrote topic one by one that how long you can write about this topic.
- Is the audience interested in this topic?
- How much deeply you know about that topic.
- Find all the pros & cons of that topic.
- Will you able to solve people’s query related to that topic.
By considering all these points, resort your list.
After that now divide the topic to its last root, find the depth of the topic according to the interest of the audience.
Now we check the topic according to business analytics.
Start with the competition, volume of searches, ad report and it has any product or service so that you can promote that product or service in the future under an affiliate program.
You can find all these things by using these tools.
- Google Keyword Tools for the volume of searches, it is free of cost. Also, you can check the competition.
- Consider google trends for checking the interest of the audience in that topic.
- For checking that it has any product for promotion, then you can visit Amazon.
So, consider all these things while you are looking for a niche.
Some of the popular niches that are evergreen for starting a blog.
- Creative Endeavors
- Personal Finance
- Internet / Digital Marketing
With all these things, I hope you will find to have the right topic or niche for your blog. So, we are done with the niche selection part now.
2. Choose a Good Domain Name
Domain Name, the name of your blog, the name which will represent your blog.
Choosing a perfect domain is also a little confusing, we get confused like what to choose? is this better? does it suits the blog or not. And in all this confusion if you choose a domain name, but it is not available, then you get frustrated.
So, be patient and find a perfect domain name. You can use GoDaddy for registering your domain name. There are other platforms for domain purchasing – Bigrock, 1&1 Domains, A2Hosting, etc.
You can go with a .com domain, not compulsory, you can also pick other TDL if you are addressing the local audience.
Now the second last part in this article named “how to start a blog” is the hosting, so let’s move on to the hosting part.
3. Find Right Web Hosting
For making your online and 24×7 accessible, you need web hosting.
Seeking for a perfect web hosting, Try A2 Hosting
Well, there is many types of hosting available that is :
- A2 Shared Hosting: In this hosting, you will share a common server with many servers. This type of hosting is the most recommended type of hosting for beginners because it is cost-effective, uncomplicated and suitable to host a personal website or a blog or a startup website. You can move to higher hosting later on if you have demand for such things
- A2 Dedicated Hosting: Very expensive, but under this hosting, every notch of your blog will be served on a priority. Not recommended for new ones.
- A2 VPS Hosting: A virtual space in your hosting for giving you more speed and controls compare to shared hosting. The new starter can also go for VPS hosting.
These all are the type of hosting, but there are many companies which provide these types of hostings.
So, when you are looking for a perfect web hosting then just remember these points that are
Factors to Consider When Choosing Web Hosting
- Customer Reviews and feedback.
- Uptime rating.
- Price during sign in and also after the renewal.
- Customer Support.
According to my recommendation, you can go with A2 Hosting service. Because at A2 Hosting you will get:
The Benefits of Using A2 Web Hosting
- Unlimited Disk Space
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- 1-CLICK Script Installs
- Free Solid State Drives
- 99.9% Uptime Commitment
- Linux & Windows Hosting
- 24/7/365 Guru Crew Support
- Anytime Money Back Guarantee
You can avail all this feature by having A2 Hosting for your website or blog
Steps For Buying A2 Hosting
- Visit https://www.a2hosting.com/ and “Get Started”.
- Now pick any plan, according to your requirements.
- You can go with SWIFT plan.
- After choosing the right plan, now its turn for the domain name. You will see these options: Register a domain, Transfer your domain from another registrar, I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers, Use a subdomain from A2 Hosting.
- We use Register a domain option and other options are for if you have brought domain from another company or you have already registered a domain.
- So, enter your domain name and select its domain name server and click on check.
- Now select the billing cycle. It’s your wish you can available billing cycle for every month, twelve months, twenty-four months and thirty -six months. On this page, you can also select some additional configurations for your hosting like SSL certificates, priority service, turbo boost, etc.
- Choose if you want a dedicated IP address (I don’t recommend it unless you are created an e-commerce site and need a private SSL certificate).
- Priority support and DropMySite offsite backups are things that you don’t really need.
- You also get to choose your preferred server location (choose one that is the closest to you and your customers or site visitors).
- Performance Plus and Barracuda Spam Firewall are two other upgrades which you don’t really need.
- You get to choose an SSL certificate, Let’s Encrypt is Free and a good choice for personal and small business sites.
- The next option is an important one. Here you can choose if you want A2 Hosting to auto-install WordPress (or Joomla, PrestaShop, plus loads more software) for you.
- The last option is CloudFlare plus, which is another upgrade you don’t need right now.
- After some more configurations, you will be asked to fill your personal detail, along with information for your domain.
- Now, the last part fills your card details for the final payment. And within few minutes after successful payment, you were ready with your domain and hosting.
- These all are the steps to buy A2 Hosting and if you are now fully convinced with A2 Hosting, then go and use this Special Link to buy it.
Other options are:
- Transfer your domain from another registrar: This option is for those people who want to buy a domain from another company so they can transfer that domain here using this information.
- I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers: If you were using your existing domain in other hosting server and you want to change your server, then this option is for you.
- Use a subdomain from A2 Hosting: If you don’t want to buy domain and thinking for a subdomain, then you can avail of this thing using this option.
4. Install WordPress on Cpanel
This part is the heart of this article “how to start a blog”.
After successfully payment and activation of hosting, it’s time to installing WordPress.
There are two ways of installing WordPress here and these are:
1. During Hosting’s Configuration:
- When you were buying the hosting, in hosting’s a configuration you will see an option named as additional options
- Here you will see another option named Auto-Install application, under the option you will see many applications that you can install, according to your need.
- Now, under these options, select WordPress – A2 optimized
- Your temporary login credentials will be shown at that time, so please wrote it down because these credentials will not be mailed to you.
2. Through Control Panel Using Softaculous:
- If you didn’t install WordPress during your hosting configuration, then this is the second option where you have to first login to your control panel.
- After successful login, you will option of WordPress – A2 optimized under the SOFTACULOUS APP Installer.
- Click on that option and starts the installation. Before, installation fill all the installation details.
The details have these fill in the blanks:
- Choose Protocol: Here choose a protocol from where your WordPress site will be accessible.
- Choose domain: A drop box will appear in front of you, from there select your domain.
- Install in directory: Leave this blank to install on the domain directly. If you are installing in a subfolder of your site you type in the folder name. For example, if you type in folder-name then WP will be installed: website.com/folder-name.
- Site name: The name which you want to have appeared when someone visits your website.
- Site description: A short info of your website.
- Admin Username: Username for the admin when he or she will try to open the dashboard.
- Admin password: Password for dashboard’s login.
- Admin email: Admin’s email for dashboard’s login.
- Select language: Select language for your WordPress platform.
- In last now hit the install button and that’s it.
- Now, in this article “how to start a blog”, we are done with the back end work
5. Choosing a Website Theme: The Attention Graber
This is the next part of this article “how to start a blog”.
We are almost done with all our work we pick a niche, domain name and hosting, we activated the backend platform.
So, we are left with the front end that is the theme selection. The structure which will viewers watch. And through this structure, they will interact.
If you don’t set a new theme, your site will be launched with the default theme, the default theme is not suited for blogging.
In starting, you can use the free themes available in WordPress. You can avail these themes by login in your WordPress.
After opening the dashboard, click on appearance available on the left side of the screen.
After placing a cursor on option Appearance, you will see the pop-up of option and from these options, select option of Theme.
Now, you can see many themes and you can activate according to your need and interest.
Yes, you did it, your blog is ready, now what next?
Well, now the next task is to rank your website, so for that create great and useful content.
So, what we have done let check it first. If I talk in simple terms, we built a house for your blog.
Means the outer structure i.e. its walls, ceilings, etc.
Now, what’s next?
It’s very simple, the next step is to add interiors to your blog.
Well, I know you must get confused with this terminology.
Don’t worry, I make it simple.
We have to now put content, add workable plugins, etc, in our blog.
The whole game is of content. The most valuable content maker will have extra chances to won this game.
So, we start next section on “the first post”.
6. Publish Your First Blog Post
Now, it’s field time.
As I above tell you about niche or topic for your blog, so I am sure you must have selected a topic.
In starting to try to write the basis of that select niche or topic. And after that write, it’s further topics as it’s outer sells.
This will help you to bound your viewers inside your blog. And they will also found it useful.
Now, let me tell you how to write the first post in WordPress dashboard.
- First login to your blog’s dashboard.
- Now on your left side, you will see many options. In these options, click on “Posts”.
- Initially, this option will be empty because you have not created any post. So, click on “Add New”.
- And your workplace for writing a post will appear.
- Now, I am sure you will get little confused after seeing this interface because of many options present there. So, don’t worry, I’ll help out.
Before moving into deep analysis, first, let me tell you one more thing about the WordPress editor.
Recently, Gutenberg released their new editor with WordPress 5.3. And if you don’t like this editor you can also switch to old meta editor of WordPress. This is officially announced by WordPress.
- Title Box: Simply put your title of the blog post, nothing else.
- Working Block: In this box, you will initialize your content. This block system is new in this Gutenberg’s WordPress editor. The difference in this block that everyone has it’s own block type selection box. And also own editing box.
On the right-hand side, you will see other blog post related options. Like category of post, tags, featured image, etc.
After doing all such things like you are done with writing, now add multimedia to your blog post.
Images, graphics, videos are very important. These things grab the attention of users and also make your blog post more interesting.
Images should be related to your blog post. And try to put informative images.
Okay, so you were done with multimedia.
Now, next is the backbone of blogging i.e. SEO.
So, here we will do first on-page SEO.
- Keyword: Add a proper keyword in your blog post. Put a keyword on which you want that viewer will see your blog post. Here don’t put the excess of the keyword, if your blog content is of 1k words, then just add keyword 6-8 times.
- Linking: Here linking is of two types of internal linking and outer linking. Interlinking means, you add the link of your already published articles and outer linking means you are adding the link of someone other’s article, and you are doing this thing if you think that this is also valuable for the viewer.
- Multimedia: We had already talked about multimedia.
Now you are ready to publish your article.
Okay, so now we filled our house with interiors and with other stuff.
So, now let decorate the house a little bit or make it more attractive. Sorry Sorry! Again I am in different terminology.
Now, let’s talk little about the mindset for blogging.
With planning, I want to clear a few things related to blogging.
If you have the plan to start blogging then it’s obvious that you have some expectations in return from blogging and these expectations may vary.
So, in this part I clarify those expectations and also we reform these expectations.
Some Blogging Myths
1. Automatic Audience
The main important thing in blogging is the end audience that is viewers. Many people thought that if you start blogging you will automatically get followers.
If you are also in this hope then, sorry dear, they won’t. No one will come if you aren’t telling anyone about your blog or promoting your blog.
If you have a great piece of content and you show your content in front of your audience then, in this case, many people don’t get this
2. New Day New Post
Many think that for running a successful blog, you have to write an everyday new post or after every two or three days But there is no such type of compulsion.
You have to just keep updating your blog. In blogging the quality matters not the quantity.
So, don’t make a burden of such a thing, because by doing such type of things there are most of the chances that you may ruin your blogging interest
3. Need to Be Technical
Here if you are little surrounded by technology, then don’t worry, you would not face any crisis. You can hire tech people easily for most of your work.
4. Don’t Focus on Fast and Furious
You don’t need a vast audience in the initial stage. Your blog sees hikes in the audience at a gradual speed.
In most of the blogs it was seen that they get their audience after a long period, but when they get their audience then they easily make six figures, so the whole game is of patience and hard work.
All you need is the right audience. Because your success is always based on your right audience.
5. No Luck Only Planning, Patience and Potential
6. No Need to Be a Perfectionist in Initial Stages.
7. Create a Blogging Mindset
As you see the name of this article is “how to start a blog”, so I want to cover all aspects of blogging.
Now, you are clear about the myths related to blogging.
I am sure now that your little spark gets more energy now, hoping that you are getting excited to launch your own blog.
Don’t worry you are not much far from the launch ceremony, but before that let discuss a little bit about a new mindset.
See after creating a blog, basically, you are adding a new daily routine in your life.
So you need to set a new mindset for that, especially from your mind that you have to do that. Because there are thousands of blogs already there and every day many new blogs are coming into existence.
But only a few…very few blogs succeed, most of the bloggers drop that idea of blogging.
And the reason for this downfall is not the skills but the right mindset to do blogging.
So, you have to shift your mind to a businessman from a normal person’s mindset.
A business mindset is required because this is also a business whether it is money or popularity. And business is the person who knows how to balance, nourish and maintain any business.
How to Set Blogging Goals
Goals, objectives, achievements these all terms have their importance in every successful task.
Without goals, you can’t move forward. You have to set your direction for working and this direction is set by your goals.
Basically, what you want from blogging or how you evolve your self in the field of blogging.
The main point here is always set genuine goals, never promise yourself with high points, start with small things, after that shift to the big screen.
Your goals should be smart that is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-Focused and Time-Bound.
For eg., I will increase traffic by 30% in the next two months or I will increase my email subscribers by 1k in next 4 months.
With these goals, you can analyze your working report and how you are performing.
Now, with all these points whether the myths, mindset or goals, the motive of mine is to make you guys mentally ready for the blogging.
This is the half motive of mine behind this article “how to start a blog” because I want to vanish these things.
So, you can’t lose your interest after one or two months while you start blogging.
We start from myths, mindset, goals, domain name, hosting, the theme and we end with the first blog post. We cover almost all aspects of blog creation. I hope you like this article “how to start a blog” and also worth your knowledge.
Please tell us your feedback and also tell if you feel any issue in the comment section.
With this note, it’s time to leave and stay tuned for more articles like “how to start a blog”. Tada!!!!